- 3 egg whites
- 2 pound powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. clear vanilla
- About 3 Tbsp. to 1/4 cup water
How I make it:
1. Sift all the powdered sugar into mixing bowl (need large mix master/Bosch etc)
You must sift it to get all the lumps out, to make icing smooth.
2. Separate egg whites into small bowl. (This way no yolk gets into the powdered sugar. This is important).
Pour egg whites into powdered sugar.
3. Put cream of tartar and vanilla into powdered sugar.
4. Put 2 Tbsp. water in and start beating ingredients. Start on low to avoid a powdered sugar “cloud”, then turn to high speed.
5. Beat on high for 7-10 minutes. Add water to get the consistency you want: more liquid for pastry brush “painting”, less liquid for tube decorating.
It is very important to keep beating the whole 10 minutes. This gets the egg whites to fluff up and the cream of tartar to create the smoothness. I ended up beating several batches for 15 minutes and it got really fluffy. I was surprised how the extra time added to the nice consistency.
6. Divide icing into separate bowls to mix in desired colors.
From Lillian Butterfield