To Make 7 quarts
Cook on med-high heat until golden brown
- 6 medium onions
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1 cups hot olive oil
Puree (chop 1/3 of vegetables for a chunkier sauce) Since all of this won’t fit into one blender, use a large bowl with an immersion blender, or do it in batches, leaving some fluid in the blender each time.
Then pour into large cooking pot.
- 36 medium tomatoes, stems removed. Romano will give a firmer sauce, better texture.
- 16 green onions, chop off hollow dark green stem, and end of white
- 3 cups green peppers, cored and seeded
- 2 TB salt
- 4 tsp pepper
- 4 TB fresh oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 3 TB chili powder
- 2 TB paprika
- 1/4 cup garlic salt/pepper/parsley seasoning
Mix together, whisk into sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch dissolved in 2 cups cold water
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 1 hour. Take lid off, cook 15 more minutes, can immediately.
Pour into clean, hot jars, wipe rim with hot clean cloth, put hot lids and bands on. Place jars in hot water bath, boil 15 minutes.
Recipe from Irene McBride, thanks Mom!